This roasted veggie pizza was delicious! The crust turned out perfectly, the veggies were wonderful, and the overall flavor was very earthy and springy. And, I didn’t even use a kitchen to make it! Our kitchen is currently only a floor and a ceiling with a few bare beams in between-not very usable. I made this entire thing on our porch! This kitchenless pizza would also be great for one of those hot summer days when you don’t want to heat up the house with the stove!
For the crust (this is an adapted recipe from the 2011 Vegetarian Times magazine):
- 1 1/4-oz. packet active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp. Sugar
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (plus a little extra for dusting work surface)
- 2 tbs. salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus more for oiling bowl)
- Wisk together yeast, sugar and 1 1/4 cups warm water (about 95°F) in a small bowl. Let it sit in a warm place for about 10 minutes, or until yeast is bubbling. CAUTION: Do not proceed if yeast is not foaming. If it’s not foaming in about 1o minutes, dump it out and try a different batch.
- Mix flour and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer outfitted with the dough hook. Slowly add the yeast mixture and oil. Mix well for 3 to 4 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Transfer dough to lightly floured surface, knead several times; the dough may be slightly sticky.
- Transfer dough to a big, lightly oiled bowl, turning the dough to coat with oil. Cover the bowl and dough with a kitchen towel and let it sit in a warm place for about an 1 hour.
- Punch the dough and divide in to 4 balls. Replace the dough in the bowl, and cover with kitchen towel. Let it sit for about 15 minutes.
- Flatten each ball out on an oiled plate, or flatten with your oily hands. Turn 2 burners of the grill to medium. Carefully peel the dough from the plate (you may have to hold the plate upside down to peel the dough off). Place the flattened dough on the grill. Let it cool until the bottom feels done with the spatula. Flip to grill the other side of the crust.
- When both sides are done, remove from grill and place on a plate.
For the veggies:
- 1 1/2 cups desired veggies
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- Pinch of Rosemary
- 1 tsp. Garlic
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Cut the veggies of your choice (I used zucchini, asparagus and mushrooms).
- Mix the oil, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Using a kitchen paintbrush, brush all of the veggies together. For smaller vegetables, it may be easier to just let them soak in the oil mixture for a couple of minutes.
- Place vegetables on the grill. Let them grill for about 6 minutes, or until slightly charred.
- Remove vegetables from the grill.
For the pizza:
- Roasted Veggies
- 1/4 cup bruschetta (or chunky tomato sauce)
- 2 tbs. feta cheese
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- Apply desired topping to crust.
- Place on grill at a low temperature.
- Wait for cheese to melt, remove from grill. Keep a close eye on the pizzas, because if not at a very low temperature, the bottom of the crust will burn.
That’s it! Enjoy your kitchenless pizza!